The joys and travails of e-authors Sherry (Shara) Jones and Laura Hamby as they jump computer monitors first into the pool. Holding hands and plugging their noses, of course.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Kicking and Screaming

...Alrighty then, it's a well known fact that I am Not a Plotter. Nope. Not me. Stymies me, mystifies me, but that doesn't mean I don't see the value in planning. But you wanna see me cross my eyes and get them stuck? Suggest I do an outline. I blame this on the librarian of the school where I attended 5th grade. Her idea of "what to do with the students during library time" was to direct us to get some weird little book and outline it for the duration of the class. Um, yeah. Gotta love those Roman numerals, et al. Joy, yippee, yay and rah! URG.

My planning involves doing a character list, because I know I do things like change the heroine's eye color from blue to hazel and green throughout the WIP. If I have it in a character list, then all I have to do, every single blessed time I wish to inform the reader of the heroine's eye color, is go look it up. Nifty, huh? I also like to keep track of family members, birthdays, secondaries, etc...To me, this constitutes Planning. (Yes, with a capital "P".).

But I'm always open to trying out New Things (or "New *To Me* Things"). Hence when I read about log lines on Edittorrent, I thought, "Yanno, this might be a good thing for us self-confessed Pansters." So I gave it a shot with my current WIP. Nifty neat-O! Next up, I'm going to try it out on with the WIP I intend to commence upon when I finish the current WIP. Oh, heckadoodle, who am I fooling? I've already started the next one somewhat. What I intend to do with the log lines is use them to help me Plot. Yes, I will be kicking and screaming the WHOLE way as I attempt to this manner of Planning, but I'm going to give it the old college try. What can it possibly hurt? I might even find it a very valuable tool.

I will now sit back, wait for Sherry to notice this particular blog post, and watch for her to faint. This should be purty durned good.

No comments: