The joys and travails of e-authors Sherry (Shara) Jones and Laura Hamby as they jump computer monitors first into the pool. Holding hands and plugging their noses, of course.

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Muse Constipation....

Laura: As you may be able to tell from our lack of posts here on our Adventure Blog lately, Sherry and I are both suffering from that dreaded authorial disease: Writer’s Block. Yep. Our Muses are constipated, and despite offerings of medicinal chocolate and "adult beverages" (Yes, I thought I might shake something loose out of my Muse if I got her tipsy)... here we sit. Our WIPS dutifully opened, read and read again, discussed over IM, commiserated over IM, bounced like playground balls. We’ve done everything but take our WIPS out on the town for dinner, drinks and dancing! Now, what are the odds of us both coming down with blockage? (Pardon me while I consult the miniature-yet-living Mr. Spock I keep in my desk drawer for such occasions.)

Who knows? Does anyone care besides Sherry and I? (Because figuring out the odds would be an admirable way of procrastinating on writing.) What does it really say about our methods now that both Ms. Panster and Ms. White Board-Diagrams-Flow Charts can’t seem to write a sentence they don’t immediately delete?

To me it says that Writer’s Blocks can happen to anyone. I’m reminded of an interview I read in the RWA magazine, with Nora Roberts. Towards the end of the interview, Nora had something to say that made me laugh out loud. Paraphrased badly, here it is: "Chain the damned Muse to the keyboard and write." (I’d scrounge around for the actual interview, to give you the unparaphrased version, but I haven’t unpacked my writing magazines yet, my husband has already gone to bed and that’s where my boxes are, AND I have no idea in which box the magazine is actually in, PLUS, my bedroom is already a disaster and doesn’t need me to help it anymore by unpacking anything else. *Ahem. My apologies to Ms. Roberts on the manglefication of said quote.)

So... what am I going to do about my Writer’s Block? Certainly not break out a white board, a flow chart or diagram. Nope. I’m going to go "borrow" a set of plastic handcuffs from one of my sons, set out Muse Bait (read: medicinal and recreational chocolate; another fuzzy navel), and hide under my desk with said handcuffs until the Muse takes the bait, thereby enabling me to cuff her to the keyboard and write. Dammit.


Sherry: Museal Constipation. Nothin’ worse.
I’ve tried every suggestion. Oh, yes I have!
And the amusement of picturing Laura skulking under the desk waiting to leap onto, and handcuff her Muse to the computer isn’t helping. Can’t picture my characters while envisioning Laura’s near maniacal face, (chocolate smeared and a bit tipsy) primed and ready to attack.

Heh.

But anyway.

I try to think of Nora Roberts as well. What WOULD she do? Surely she doesn’t schlep to the computer in the mornings in ratty jammies, nursing a cup of coffee as if it were the elixir of life, only to bang her head on the desk because the Muse has deserted the writing camp.

No. Absolutely not. She writes.

I’m guessing she doesn’t sit around, posting and whining on her blog, either. (I forgive her for that).

Well, dear Readers. I’m hereby declaring that I’m not going to take this Museal abuse any longer. I have a plan. Actually, it’s not MY plan, but it is a good one. Oh, it’s a great one! Charts, corkboard, push pins… the works! *rubbing hands together in glee*

What is the plan? I’m not telling my methods. Mainly, because for once, this isn’t my method. Nope, this method has been supplied by a Famous Author. It’s a secret.

BUT, if you tune in next Friday, all will be revealed. Oh yes. The Secret will be out. We might even have a guest.

I’m sure even my errant Muse will even turn up for this.

Stay tuned.

No comments: