The joys and travails of e-authors Sherry (Shara) Jones and Laura Hamby as they jump computer monitors first into the pool. Holding hands and plugging their noses, of course.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!


Valentine's Day Comments

Valentine's Day Comments

Sherry said an interesting thing to me the other afternoon as we were IMing. She said that my Muse performs on command.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! GASP!!WHEEZE!!!CHOKE!!!!

I'm delighted SHE thinks so. I think what we have here in another stellar example of Panster vs. Plotter writing styles. Unlike Sherry, I don't necessarily have to know what's coming around the pike, nor do I have the need to dissect my character's motivations before I can continue with a scene. My take on it is this: as long as I feel I'm "on track" all is good. My WIPs go through many stages, so I believe my rough draft can be ugly, hairy, scary, and it's a-okay. It's the final draft that counts, and I've found I best write in layers: you lay the primer layer, the base coat, the second coat (for full-bodied color), and the shiny layer (the one where you make sure it's all purty, all the plot holes are filled, loose ends are tied, the story concludes satisfactorily...). It all works out in the end for me.

Now then, I do try to be sympathetic to Sherry's method. I even try to understand it (it's kinda like algebra to me, however) and do my best to brainstorm with her in a way that feeds her creative style. I don't know if I'm successful, but I like to think I am. Sherry does try to understand my method, too, even if when I breezily say, "Well, that will come in the next round" and her eyes cross and her eyebrows join together in the middle.


So, back to my Muse performing on command. This is the mental image Sherry's comment left me with:



I've always wanted to name my Muse, and now she has a name, thanks to Sherry. It's *Prima* (as in *Prima Ballerina*, the Dancing Bear).

No comments: